Dear Parents and Guardians:
In accordance with Massachusetts General Law the health offices will be conducted mandated screenings throughout the school year. These screenings are not intended to be diagnostic but to create an awareness of health issues that may require further evaluation from your primary care provider.
The screenings are designated by grade as follows:
- Hearing screening: Preschool, Kindergarten, Grades 1-3, Grade 7, Grade 10
- Vision screening: Preschool, Kindergarten, Grades 1-5, Grade 7, Grade 10
- Postural screening: Grades 5-9
- Body Mass Index (BMI) including height, and weight: Grades 1, 4, 7, and 10
- SBIRT (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment) regarding substance use: Grades 7 and 9
- You will be informed only if your child’s screening indicates concern and need for referral to your primary care provider. A notice will be sent home requesting you contact your child’s physician to arrange for appropriate follow up.
- Parents will only receive notification of the BMI results if they request it by contacting the school nurse.
- Parents and guardians who do not wish for their child to participate in any part of the screening program must send a written request to the school nurse.
If you have any questions, please direct them to your child’s school nurse. We thank you for your cooperation.
Sincerely, Westport Community Schools Nursing Staff