21st Century Learning Expectations
The mission of Westport Middle and the Westport High School is to educate all students to become 21st century learners, to seek and value knowledge, and to emerge as productive citizens in a global community.
- All students can learn
- Students learn best in a safe, supportive, and equitable environment
- Tolerance of individual differences and cooperative resolution of conflicts create a climate of respect
- Inquiry and collaboration help students actively engage in the curriculum
- Essential understanding is demonstrated through effective communication
- Personal responsibility for behavior and learning leads to success
- Collaboration among all stakeholders maximizes achievement
Expectations for Student Learning
- All students should acquire, integrate and apply enduring understandings
- Knowledge and skills.
- All students should read, write and communicate effectively.
- All students should use higher order thinking skills to solve complex problems.
- All students should use media and technology effectively.
- All students should study, research and work independently and collaboratively.
- All students should demonstrate personal and social responsibility.
- All students should demonstrate civic responsibility.